On Thursday, April 5, the Quebec Major Hockey League announced on behalf of the 2019 Memorial Cup Site Selection Committee that the 101st edition of the tournament has been awarded to the Halifax Mooseheads.
The event will take place in Halifax, Nova Scotia from May 16 to 26, 2019, and will include the host Mooseheads along with the champions of the QMJHL, OHL, and WHL.
“The organizing committee did an outstanding job in their bid presentation and proved that they are able to meet the expectations to host this prestigious event,” said QMJHL Commissioner Gilles Courteau.
“We are extremely excited to have the Memorial Cup tournament back in the QMJHL. The City of Halifax has proven in the past that they have all the resources to host world-class events and we are looking forward to seeing some of the best CHL teams and players go head-to-head next year.”
The prestigious national championship returns to the City of Halifax for the first time since 2000, which also included the champion Rimouski Océanic (QMJHL), the Barrie Colts (OHL), and the Kootenay Ice (WHL).
“We’re very pleased for our hockey team, for our players and for our fans. Everyone is extremely excited,” said the Governor and President of the Mooseheads, Bobby Smith
The city is ready, the downtown has become a beautiful place, the province has been behind us the whole way and it is going to be a great Memorial Cup in Halifax
Nineteen years ago has been a long time, but the people still talk about the Memorial Cup. I guarantee it’ll be a Memorial Cup that fans enjoy. The story will be a full arena and a great experience for the players.”
For more information, visit http://mastercardmemorialcup.ca.
http://theqmjhl.caBack to Top
1) Around the AJHL: Okotoks Oilers commit to U Sports teams; Calgary Mustangs coaching staff set
2) Around the OJHL: Patriots defenceman commits to Laurier; former league coach joins NHL’s Arizona Coyotes
3) Around the BCHL: Grizzlies forward NCAA-bound, Capitals forward off to Wisconsin-Superior
4) Jack Hughes wins 2017 Hockey Player of the Year Award for Ontario
5) TEAM CANADA INVITES 40 PLAYERS TO SPORT CHEK WORLD JUNIOR SHOWCASE IN KAMLOOPS